Roseville Headaches & Migraines Treatment from Olson Bros Chiropractic
Your head is throbbing, you’re sensitive to light, and you can barely concentrate on what you’re doing. Is it a headache or a migraine? Yes, there is a difference between the two, and understanding that difference is the first step to reducing their frequency. Olson Bros Chiropractic can help with headaches & migraines treatment in Roseville, St. Anthony, New Brighton and NE Minneapolis.
What’s the Difference Between a Headache and a Migraine?
A basic headache causes a throbbing sensation in the head, sometimes in the center, and sometimes in the temples. If you’re under a close deadline or experiencing other sources of stress, you may get a tension headache, which often feels like a tight sensation.
Still, even the worst tension headache is not a migraine. Here’s how to differentiate the two.
How to tell if it’s a tension headache: The pain is considered moderate at worst. As mentioned, there’s a tight sensation that typicaly affects both sides of the head.
How to tell if it’s a migraine: With a migraine, the pain is overwhelming. You have a throbbing or pounding sensation as well as a steady ache. Your whole head may be affected or just one side. The biggest ways to tell you have a migraine versus a tension headache is if you see a slight aura or visual disturbance such as wavy lines or flashing lights, you can’t stand loud noises or bright lights, and you feel nauseous.
What Causes Headaches and Migraines?
A number one cause of Migraine headaches is the lack of a proper curve in the cervical spine (your neck). How would I know if I had an improper curve in my neck? An X-ray is the most objective way to tell however if your head pushes forward of your spine there is a very high probability that you have lost the normal curve and could be more susceptible to migraines. Causes for this loss of cervical curve are car accidents, whiplash injuries from sports, repetitive trauma like working at a computer all day or sleeping nightly with the wrong pillow.
Migraines have also been linked with hereditary, with many migraine sufferers relating family history of migraines. Otherwise, excessive brain substances (like serotonin and prostaglandins), blood pressure medications and fluctuations of blood flow to the brain are factors that may also contribute. Other causes are stress, poor nutrition, bad posture, sleeplessness, diet changes (especially consuming foods with nitrates), and drinking alcohol.
Headaches and Migraines Treatment in Roseville, MN
Dr. Dan, Dr. Dennis and Dr. Drake are all skilled at treating headaches and migraines.
- They will teach you relaxation techniques you can do anywhere. These should reduce day-to-day stress, which may be able to stave off tension headaches and migraines.
- Through regular chiropractic care, you can improve your posture. Your chiropractor may recommend ergonomic seating for use at home and at work. Better posture can also reduce headache and migraine frequency.
- With wellness and nutritional guidance, your chiropractor can help you reshape your diet. Once you start eating more nutritiously, your headaches and migraines may go away.
- Chiropractic adjustments and spinal manipulations along with a specialized cervical (neck) traction therapy can return the curve to your cervical spine and dramatically reduce the stress on the soft tissues and nervous system found in your neck
- They will teach you exercises you can do at home or your office to prevent recurring headaches and migraines.
About Olson Bros Chiropractic Your Roseville Chiropractos
If you suffer from headaches or migraines, contact us at Olson Bros Chiropractic, your Roseville chiropractors. We offer many services to reduce pain, including nutritional counseling, lifestyle advice, corrective exercises, custom orthotics, massage therapy, chiropractic biophysics techniques, cervical compression extension traction, cold laser therapy, spinal decompressions, and auto accident injury care.
To learn more or schedule an appointment today, call us at 651-633-0155 or visit us at Olson Bros Chiropractic on 2400 West County Road D, Suite 101.