Treatment for Running Injuries from our Roseville Chiropractors
If you're a runner, you know even minor aches and pains can impair your ability to log miles. Our St Paul and Roseville chiropractors are highly active themselves and they enjoy sharing their knowledge and skills to help people heal from running injuries naturally. At Olson Bros Chiropractic in Roseville, we offer treatment for running injuries and prevention methods for future injuries.
Common Running Injuries Diagnosed & Treated by Our Sports Injury Chiropractors in Roseville
Like most types of physical exercise, running isn't inherently dangerous per se, but there are plenty of factors which may lead to injury, such as: poor running form, inadequate rest and recovery, inadequate nutrition and hydration, over-training, ill-fitting shoes, and even the terrain on which you run. Likewise, unique postural and musculoskeletal factors, such as flat arches or knocked knees (genu valgum) can increase strain on your body and raise your risk for injury. A few of the common injuries we see in runners are:
- Back pain: muscle strains (e.g., erector spinae, quadradus lumborum, and iliopsoas), disc bulge, spinal nerve compression
- Hip pain and upper leg pain: muscle strains (e.g., hip flexors, quadriceps, and hamstrings), piriformis syndrome (sciatic nerve compression by the piriformis muscle), labrum tear, Iliotibial band syndrome
- Knee pain: patellofemoral pain syndrome ("runner's knee"), patellar tendonitis, bursitis, ligament (ACL/MCL) sprains, meniscus tears
- Lower leg pain and ankle/foot pain: shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, ankle sprains, stress fractures, and plantar fasciitis
Symptoms will vary and can include pain, swelling, localized warmth and redness, decreased range of motion, leg numbness and tingling, and joint stiffness. Even if a minor injury "goes away" on its own, the underlying factors which contributed to the injury may remain, thus placing you at risk for re-injury.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care for a Running Injury
Chiropractic care for a running injury is hugely beneficial because our doctors can evaluate your body to identify areas of imbalances or patterns of movement which may be contributing to your pain and dysfunction (key for prevention as well as treatment). We can also relieve symptoms and facilitate tissue healing using completely drug-free care, including:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Spinal decompression
- Cold laser therapy
- Massage therapy
- Custom orthotics fitting and prescription
- Corrective exercises
- Lifestyle and nutritional counseling
Find Sports Injuries Care at Olson Bros Chiropractic in St Paul, MN
Whether you run outside or inside, competitively or simply for fun, an injury can crop up at any time which may keep you off of your fitness path. Contact our Roseville and St Paul, MN chiropractors to schedule an appointment by calling Olson Bros Chiropractic at (651) 633-0155.